April 18,2018

Press Release

People walking through arch next to Lake Merritt at sunset

EBCE to Launch For Commercial Customers in June

Alameda County, CA (April 18, 2018) – East Bay Community Energy (EBCE) is one step closer to providing clean electricity to unincorporated Alameda County and eleven of its cities: Albany, Berkeley, Dublin, Emeryville, Fremont, Hayward, Livermore, Oakland, Piedmont, San Leandro, and Union City. Starting in June, commercial and municipal businesses within the EBCE service area will be automatically enrolled to receive cleaner energy. Residents will be enrolled in November. EBCE will become the electricity provider for the service area, partnering with PG&E for power distribution, customer service, and billing.

EBCE is scheduled to provide more renewable energy than PG&E at lower rates. As the state’s newest Community Choice Energy provider, EBCE is locally governed and its processes are completely transparent, with Board and Community Advisory Committee meetings open to the public. Moreover, EBCE will reinvest earnings back into the communities it serves. This will create local jobs and provide economic benefits to the Alameda County community, while also retaining local involvement in energy choices.

EBCE will provide two services to all customers: Bright Choice and Brilliant 100. The basic service is Bright Choice, which is powered by at least 38% renewable energy and an additional 47% carbon-free energy (together, a total of 85% carbon-free) and offered at a 1.5% discount to the corresponding PG&E rate. Customers may also choose Brilliant 100 service, which provides a 100% carbon-free service for the same cost as the corresponding PG&E rate. EBCE will purchase solar, wind, and small hydroelectric renewable energy, which is all carbon-free, and will purchase large hydroelectric power as supplemental carbon-free energy. Over time, EBCE will increase the amount of renewable energy in its power mix.

“We’re excited to bring this new service to Alameda County,” says Nick Chaset, CEO of EBCE. “Businesses will now be able to power their work with more renewable energy that doesn’t affect their bottom line.”

In an effort to support sustainability goals, commercial customers in Albany and Hayward will be enrolled in Brilliant 100 automatically at the start of service. As leaders against climate change setting the example for their communities, the cities of Albany, Emeryville, Hayward, and Piedmont have placed all of their city’s accounts on Brilliant 100 service.

Some businesses have already chosen to opt up to the Brilliant 100 service, such as Numi Organic Teas.

“EBCE helps Numi Tea to meet our eco-responsibility goals by providing clean power options like Brilliant 100, which provides 100% carbon-free power from renewables and hydro at the same price as PG&E rates,” says Jane Franch. Director of Quality, Sourcing & Sustainability at Numi Organic Tea in Oakland.

Residents have the opportunity to become “Early Adopters”, and enroll in EBCE service prior to automatic enrollment. Spaces are limited and requests to participate as an Early Adopter must be submitted by May 25th.

About EBCE
East Bay Community Energy (EBCE) is a public agency power supplier, committed to providing electricity generated from a high percentage of renewable sources such as solar and wind. Set to roll-out from June through November 2018, Alameda County residents and businesses will soon have a new greener choice for the source of electricity that powers our homes and businesses.

For more information about EBCE, please visit ebce.org

EBCE Media Contact
Annie Henderson

EBCE PR Contact
Rochelle Germano